Are you foodie? Do you enjoy trying all sorts of traditional dishes just like me? Well to cook authentic Thai green curry is what you need to get your hands on! Green curry is one of the traditional dishes of Thailand. But more than Thailand, this curry is popular around the globe in Thai cuisines. The best part of it is that it’s a very simple recipe and can be cooked in no time. The curry is then served with either rice or noodles, according to one’s preference. So here’s how to cook authentic green curry like a Thai!
GET YOUR INGREDIENTS PREPARED
- 70g thai curry paste(store-bought)
- 500 g chicken breast meat (or chicken thigh)
- 375 ml (1.5cups) of coconut milk
- 8 sprigs Thai basil leaf (use the leaf only)
- 125ml (half cup) chicken stock
- 70 g eggplants
- 70 g king oyster mushroom
- 4 pieces kaffir lime leaves
- 30 g palm sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red spur chilies
- Cut the chicken meat in small pieces.
- Chop your eggplant the way you did your chicken.
- Shred the king oyster mushroom into small pieces.
- Place half of the coconut milk into a pot. Heat it gently until it starts to boil. Reduce it to a thick sauce.
- Add the green curry paste. Saute until it turns aromatic.
- Blend 2 sprigs of basil leaves with the remaining coconut milk. Add to the curry paste in the pot.
- Add the chicken and chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, mushroom, kaffir lime leaves, palm sugar, and fish sauce. Cook until the eggplant turns soft.
- Stir in the chopped red chilies and the remaining basil leaves. Let it boil for half a minute. Serve.
Simmer half a cup of coconut milk on low heat until it gets thick. Keep cooking until coconut oil separates from the milk.
Mix the green curry paste. The amount of curry paste you use really depends on you. Usually Thai curries are spicy so if you prefer a mild taste then add a little less curry paste. It might not give your curry the sharp green color like in the restaurant but the taste will be just the way you want it.
Add your chicken. A lot of Asian people prefer boneless chicken because it’s just more easier to cook and eat. However, if you’re looking for the authentic green curry then use chicken thigh and breast pieces. Again, it is all about the way you prefer.
Add the rest of your ingredients one by one. Start with adding coconut milk and chicken stock and then simmer it until the chicken is fully cooked. Later add all the vegetables mentioned in the ingredients and and let them cook for about 2 mins. You’re almost done now!
Serve your curry with rice or noodles but make sure you taste check before hand. Since adding spices is really you own choice, taste before serving so you’d know if it’s exactly the way you want it.
Let us know in the comments below if you tried this recipe and how it turned out! if you liked this recipe then do try the most delicious curry!